Purchase a Plan
NH PFML insurance may be purchased from MetLife, the state’s insurance partner for NH PFML
NH PFML insurance is available to employers as a group plan. Individual plan coverage is available to workers who are not covered by a NH PFML employer group plan or equivalent benefits.
Cost of Premiums
- Employer group plans are individually underwritten. Premiums are based on a number of cost factors. Employers may choose to fund 100% of the premium cost on their workers’ behalf, share the cost with their workers, or pass all the cost on to their workers. Employers receive a Business Enterprise Tax (BET) credit equal to 50% of the premium they pay on behalf of their workers for six weeks of coverage each year, if purchased through MetLife.
- The cost of the premium for the NH PFML individual plan is determined during the enrollment process. Per state law, the cost for NH PFML individual plan insurance will be no more than $5 per week.
Enrollment in an Employer Group Plan
Workers covered by an employer group plan will be enrolled automatically if the cost of the premium associated with the employer group plan is fully paid by the employer.
If the cost of the premium associated with the group plan is shared with or fully paid for by the covered workers, the employer will need to hold an open enrollment process and provide their covered workers with the option to accept or decline the coverage.
Enrollment in the Individual Plan
Enrollment in the NH PFML individual plan is held during the state’s 60-day annual open enrollment period. Open enrollment for 2024 will take place from December 1, 2023 through January 29, 2024.
Employers may purchase a NH PFML group plan at any time. During the purchasing process, employers will work with MetLife to select a plan that meets their business needs (within regulatory parameters set by the state) and determine coverage terms and premium cost. The purchasing process begins by requesting a quote from MetLife.
Employers will need to provide the following information to receive a quote:
- Workforce census including the following information:
- Workplace zip code
- Worker age or date of birth (DOB)
- Worker gender
- Worker annual salary
- Employer Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) or industry code
- Federal Employer Identification Number
- Employer situs/business location state
- Whether or not the employer has disability coverage
- Request for a 6-week or 12-week NH PFML plan
Workers can purchase NH PFML insurance coverage for themselves by enrolling in the NH PFML individual plan if their employer does not provide NH PFML insurance or equivalent benefits.
The cost of the premium for the NH PFML individual plan is determined during the enrollment process. Per state law, the cost for NH PFML individual plan insurance will be no more than $5 per week.
Individuals may purchase coverage during the annual 60-day open enrollment period.