Welcome to the New Hampshire Paid Family and Medical Leave Plan
The First Voluntary PFML Plan in the Nation
New Hampshire Paid Family and Medical Leave (NH PFML) provides participating New Hampshire workers with 60% of their average weekly wage (up to the Social Security wage cap) for up to six weeks per year for specified leaves of absence from the workplace.
- Enrollment in the NH PFML Individual Plan is open from December 1, 2023 through January 29, 2024. Use the Individual Quote Calculator to get a quote and enroll or call the MetLife Customer Solution Center, 1.866.595.PFML (7365)
- Employers can enroll in a NH PFML group plan at any time. Use the Employer Quote Calculator to get a quote.
NH Paid Family and Medical Leave (NH PFML) is a voluntary insurance plan that provides NH workers with 60% wage replacement (up to the Social Security wage cap) for up to 6 weeks per year for absences from work for covered common life events.
NH PFML insurance is available to all NH employers, including for-profit, non-profit, private, and public firms, and to all NH workers.
Employers must have a physical location in NH to be eligible for NH PFML insurance. Workers are eligible for coverage if they are designated as working for a NH employer and have their wages reported to NH for unemployment purposes.
NH PFML is available to employers as a group plan and to workers as an individual plan if their employer does not provide NH PFML insurance or equivalent benefits.
NH PFML is offered by MetLife, the state’s paid family and medical leave insurance partner. Employers are not required to purchase NH PFML insurance from MetLife. NH Department of Insurance regulations allow other insurance companies to seek approval to offer paid family and medical leave benefit plans, however, employers who purchase other paid family and medical leave insurance plans will not qualify for the BET tax credit provided to employers who purchase NH PFML through MetLife.
NH PFML insurance plans are funded by premiums paid by NH workers and NH employers participants. Employer group plans are individually underwritten based on information provided during the quoting process, such as the employer's census, selected NH PFML plan, cost sharing with workers, if any, and terms of any applicable short-term disability policy. The cost of the premium for the NH PFML individual plan is determined during the enrollment process. Per state law, the cost for NH PFML individual plan insurance will be no more than $5 per week.
- Paid family leave and paid medical leave in a single insurance policy
- 60% wage replacement (up to the Social Security wage cap)
- Up to 6 weeks of wage replacement benefits per benefit year for qualified leave reasons
- Full day, reduced schedule or partial day leaves (minimum of 4-hour increments)
- BET tax credit equal to 50% of the premium paid by the employer each year (for 6-week plan purchased through MetLife)
Employer group plans are individually underwritten Premiums are based on information you provide during the quoting process including, but not limited to:
- 6-week or 12-week plan
- Percentage of employer contribution
- Workforce demographics/census
- Employer STD plan
The premium for NH PFML individual plan insurance is determined during the enrollment process, however, per state law, the cost will be no more than $5 per week.