Brokers play a vital role in helping NH employers secure wage replacement benefits for their NH workers to address their personal health and family care needs while staying connected to work.
NH PFML is a paid family and medical leave insurance plan where NH employers and eligible NH workers can access 60% wage replacement (up to the Social Security wage cap) for up to six weeks per year for absences related to life events such as:
- A worker’s own serious health condition when disability coverage does not apply, including childbirth
- For a worker to bond with a child during the first year of birth, including placement for adoption or fostering
- For a worker to care for a family member with a serious health condition
- Any qualifying urgent demand or need arising out of the fact that the worker’s spouse, child or parent is a covered military member on covered active duty
- For a worker to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness if the eligible worker is the service member’s spouse, child, parent or next of kin
Leave can be taken all at once or in partial days with a minimum of 4-hour increments.
An unpaid period of up to 7 days must be met once per benefit period, after which a claim may be paid.
MetLife offers a 6-week coverage plan and a 12-week coverage plan.
Who is Eligible for the Program?
Any NH employer may purchase a NH PFML insurance plan for their NH workers. Eligible NH workers must be designated as working for a NH employer. Eligibility will be verified by MetLife during the enrollment process.
Do My Employer Customers Have to Purchase NH PFML Insurance?
No. Employers are not required to purchase a NH PFML insurance plan.
NH PFML is a voluntary benefit available to all employers and workers but required of none. NH PFML insurance was established in state law as a voluntary insurance program, allowing employers and workers a choice whether or not to participate.
What Happens if My Employer Customers Don't Purchase NH PFML Insurance?
New Hampshire Insurance Department regulations allow other insurance companies to seek approval to provide paid family and medical leave benefit plans. However, employers who purchase other paid family and medical leave insurance plans or employer equivalent coverage will not qualify for the BET tax credit.
Employers can choose to provide:
- NH PFML insurance issued by MetLife, the state’s insurance partner;
- Other paid family and medical leave insurance plans approved by the New Hampshire Insurance Department; or
- Equivalent benefit coverage
If an employer does not provide employer equivalent benefit coverage, workers may purchase a NH PFML individual insurance plan for themselves from MetLife (employer obligations still apply).
The NH PFML individual insurance plan includes:
- 6 weeks of wage replacement at 60% (up to the Social Security wage cap)
- 7-month waiting period before a claim may be submitted
- A single unpaid work week before benefits may be paid
- Leave that can be taken all at once (continuous) or in partial days (intermittent) with a minimum of 4-hour increments
- Premiums of no more than $5 per week
How Do My Employer Customers Coordinate NH PFML Benefits if They Offer Paid Benefits for Similar Qualifying Events?
NH PFML insurance is designed to coordinate with other types of leave and worker benefits in the following manner:
- If a worker qualifies for insured Short-Term Disability (STD), they will not qualify for NH PFML Insurance benefits for the same days absent
- If a worker is eligible to receive workers’ compensation, they will not qualify for NH PFML insurance benefits
- NH PFML insurance will run concurrently with the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) when a worker is eligible for qualifying leave under both programs
- Any other paid benefit coordination is based on employer policy, NH statute and the terms of the MetLife agreement
Who is the State's Insurance Carrier?
Who is the State's Insurance Carrier?
MetLife is the State of NH’s insurance partner to provide NH PFML insurance to NH employers and workers.
What is the Advantage for My Employer Customers to Purchase Coverage Through MetLife, the State's Insurance Carrier?
By purchasing NH PFML employer-sponsored insurance through MetLife, the state’s PFML insurance partner, NH employers are eligible to receive a BET tax credit equal to 50% of the NH PFML insurance premium they pay.
Other insurers or third-party administrators may be authorized to provide equivalent paid family and medical leave insurance plans, but the BET tax credit only applies when NH employers purchase a NH PFML insurance plan through MetLife.